This article is about the Nintendo Switch game. For other uses, see ARMS (disambiguation).
US box art for ARMS
|Download size||2.9 GB|
ARMS is a fighting game developed by Nintendo EPD exclusive to the Nintendo Switch. The game features professional boxer-like fighters who can attack each other from across an arena using weapons known as ARMS, which are attached to the ends of the fighters' extendable limbs, also known as ARMS.
ARMS was first revealed with a trailer in a Nintendo Switch presentation on 2017-01-12. ARMS was released on 2017-06-16 in North America, Europe, and Japan. On February 21, 2018 it was announced for a South Korean release on April 12, the same year.
Each player controls one fighter from an over-the-shoulder third-person point of view. The game optionally takes advantage of the Nintendo Switch Joy-Con controllers' built-in motion controls, allowing players to throw punches, block, and move around the arena by flicking or tilting the controllers. Using traditional button controls with a Pro Controller, Joy-Con Grip, a single Joy-Con held sideways, or the Switch in handheld mode is also an option. The game is playable locally by up to 4 players on one system, up to 8 players and systems per lobby in local wireless, and up to 10 systems with 2 players each in an online lobby. The game includes online party and ranked battle modes, and local wireless mode.
|Action||Thumbs-up grip|| Joy-Con Grip
|Move||Tilt both Joy-Con*|
|Guard||Turn both Joy-Con inward|
|Change target||/||() /||/|
|Punch(R)||Punch forward with Right Joy-Con||/|
|Punch(L)||Punch forward with Left Joy-Con||/|
|Grab||Punch forward with both Joy-Con||+ / +||+|
*-The plural form of Joy-Con is the same as its singular form.
There are several game modes in ARMS. All modes are listed here.
- Grand Prix
- Party Match
- Ranked Match
- Local / LAN Play
- Get ARMS
- Party Crash
Main article: Updates
- Version 1.0.0 (released 2017-06-16)
- First public release.
- Version 1.1.0 (released 2017-06-25)
- Added LAN Play and Arena mode.
- Version 2.0.0 (released 2017-07-12)
- Added Max Brass and his ARMS, Sky Arena, Hedlok Scramble mode, Stats and Events, and many fixes.
- Version 2.1.0 (released 2017-08-09)
- Revamped Training mode and adjusted balance.
- Version 3.0.0 (released 2017-09-13)
- Added Lola Pop and her ARMS, Via Dolce, and many fixes.
- Version 3.1.0 (released 2017-09-28)
- Added Sparring Ring and adjusted balance.
- Version 3.2.0 (released 2017-10-17)
- Added Badges, a new challenger in Grand Prix mode, along with balances and fixes.
- Version 4.0.0 (released 2017-11-15)
- Added Misango and his ARMS, Temple Grounds, a Poison Atrribute, Party Crash mode, and many new Badges
- Version 5.0.0 (released 2017-12-22)
- Added Dr. Coyle and her ARMS, [NAME REDACTED], new Badges and more fixes.
ARMS received generally positive reviews. Critics praised its simple, straightforward gameplay and its creative twist on the fighting genre, but some criticism was directed at its lack of content on release and its learning curve.
As of July 31st, 2018 Arms has sold 2.01 million units worldwide .
- Official American website
- Official European website
- Official Australian website
- Official Japanese website
- Official Hong Kong website
- Official Taiwanese website
- Official Japanese Twitter account
- Nintendo Today. "ARMS Download Size Revealed", retrieved on 2017-05-30.
- Nintendo of America. "ARMS – Nintendo Direct 4.12.2017", retrieved on 2017-05-02.
- Nintendo UK. "Nintendo Direct - 12.04.2017", retrieved on 2017-05-02.
- Nintendo Co., Ltd. "ARMS Nintendo Direct 2017.4.13", retrieved on 2017-05-02.
- Nintendo of Korea nintendo.co.kr
- Metacritic. , 2017-06-07, retrieved 2017-06-07.
- Carter, Chris. Destructoid. , 2017-06-07, retrieved 2017-06-07.
- Martinson, Robin. Eurogamer. 2017-06-07-arms-review, 2017-06-07, retrieved 2017-06-07.
- Gematsu. "Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1488", 2017-06-06, retrieved on 2017-06-06.
- Plagge, Kallie. Gamespot. , 2017-06-07, retrieved 2017-06-07.
- Schilling, Chris. Gamesradar+. "ARMS Review: 'An Invigorating Blend of Graceful Movement and Slapstick Violence'", 2017-06-07, retrieved 2017-06-07.
- Segers, Andre. GameXplain. "ARMS - REVIEW (Nintendo Switch)", 2017-06-07, retrieved 2017-06-07.
- Graeber, Brendan. IGN. "ARMS Review", 2017-06-07, retrieved 2017-06-07.
- McFerran, Damien. Nintendo Life. "Review: ARMS", 2017-06-07, retrieved 2017-06-07.
- Peckham, Matt. Time. "'Arms' Is Weird, Wonderful, and Maybe the Perfect Switch Game", 2017-06-07, retrieved 2017-06-07.
- TrustedReviews. http://www.trustedreviews.com/arms-review "ARMS review", 2017-06-07, retrieved 2017-06-07.
- Nintendo Co., Ltd. Nintendo Consolidated Financial Earnings Report, 2017-07-26, retrieved 2017-07-26
- Nintendo Co. Ltd. Top Selling Title Sales Units
- Nintendo Co., Ltd.