Hedlok was created by ARMS Laboratories as part of their "Wearable Weapons" project, the purpose of which was to create powerful sparring partners for fighters to hone their skills against. It is the follow-up to a prototype armor of sorts that fit over the body, which can still be seen in the background of the DNA Lab stage; however, Dr. Coyle, the overseer of the project, believed that ordinary humans would not be able to effectively control all the ARMS the prototype offered, so Hedlok was constructed instead, with the ability to override the mind of its wearer. Hedlok subsequently escaped containment and went on a rampage; though possessing a mind of its own, its objectives are unclear.
Hedlok is a metallic mask with a large mouth lined with yellow teeth, and two ARMS protruding from either side of it. It has no body but clamps onto the heads of other fighters to take control of them. Its glowing red eyes have spiraled irises.
When fighting Hedlok, it will fight with all six of its ARMS (Two sets of three, with each ARM on one side being of the same kind). Because of this, players who attempt to attack it recklessly will wind up having their punch deflected by one of its ARMS and being hit by another, making Hedlok extremely difficult to damage. Rather than unleashing a barrage of attacks with its ARMS, its Rush attack is unique: it fires a large blast from its mouth that barrels forward at high speed before exploding, capable of dealing more than 500 damage if the player is hit by all of it—though, like other Rush attacks, it can be blocked.
Hedlok appears in four different modes.
Hedlok is the namesake of the VS Hedlok mode, seen in Party Match, being the primary opponent players must fight against in it (up to three Fighters can take part). It can use any combination of fighter and ARMS. In order to win, it must be defeated before the timer runs out, even if it has less health than the players fighting it. It is affected by items just like normal fighters, allowing it to be damaged or healed, and it can use a special. The difficulty of the fight is linked to either difficulty level 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 from Grand Prix, as indicated next to its name.
In Hedlok Scramble
Introduced in Version 2.0.0, Hedlok Scramble sees players fighting for control of a Hedlok mask in a capsule. Once a player receives Hedlok, they are able to control him while the other players fight them off.
- Although Hedlok was officially revealed as part of the ARMS Global Testpunch on 2017-06-02, it was leaked before its official reveal on a Twitch.tv stream.
- Barq is not present when Hedlok attaches to Byte.
- Hedlok’s name is likely a reference to a headlock, which is when a person’s arm is wrapped around another person’s neck, thus trapping them. It also references how he takes control of people, by locking onto their heads.
- Hedlok has two separate sets of victory poses—one used in Grand Prix mode where it stays attached to Max Brass and laughs triumphantly, and one used in 1-on-100 and VS Hedlok where it detaches from the fighter it was using and flies towards the screen.
- In Grand Prix mode, Hedlok cannot be KO'd by the damage it receives from grazing one of its Explosion ARMS.
- Hedlok can accidentally damage itself from the 'blast' of the fireball super move it unleashes if Hedlok is in close proximity when it unleashes the super move on a player, making it one of the rare few supers that can damage itself with.
- When Hedlok is attached to Dr. Coyle, she cannot activate her additional ARM.
Hedlok being attacked by Helix.
A VS Hedlok match being played in Party Match mode.
Hedlok attached to Master Mummy.
Names in other languages
The Secret Weapon
|Non-playable characters in ARMS|
|Biff • Fans • Hedlok • The Cell|