Dr. Coyle is a playable fighter and one of the main antagonists in ARMS. She was released in Version 5.0.0 on December 22nd, 2017.
|Height||Ob10110000 cm(5'9) (176 cm)|
|Weight||0o105 kg (152 lb.)(69 kg)|
|Hobbies||None, only has time for ARMS|
|Voice Actress||Donna Burke|
|Charge Dash Distance||133%|
|Max Charge Time||1.1 seconds|
Dr. Coyle is a scientist wearing a large metallic suit, with her design being electricity-based. Her ARMS are made of copper with coils rotating around them, referencing the concept of electromagnetic induction. She has green eyes, green hair which covers her right eye, yellow eyebrows and eyelashes, purple lipstick, and a purple mask. Her outfit consists of a black and green suit with a green top with her logo on it, a black high collar, a zipper and a belt, and grey tights, as well as matching black and green stiletto boots with green soles, and black fingerless gloves with studs and her logo on them, as well as green painted nails. Other outfits include a turtle neck shirt with a skeleton pin near the top along with a lab coat and glasses, and a dress-like lab coat with a black pantyhose and green high heels with black soles.
"She's the director of ARMS Laboratories, and a certified genius. Fascinated with ARMS since she was a young girl, Dr. Coyle decided early on to devote her entire life to ARMS research. Her plans for this research are not necessarily nefarious... She simply wants to be the most powerful ARMS fighter of all time...even if that means subjecting herself to her own experiments. But all her pain and hard work will be worth it if she wins the ARMS Grand Prix!" —Official description
Dr. Coyle is the director of ARMS Labs and is known as a "once-in-a-generation genius". She is the youngest to rise to the top of ARMS Labs. There are rumors saying that she has 52 doctorates and the inability to taste food, although the latter is unlikely given the fact that she participated in taste-testing and recipe development in a cafe run by ARMS Labs. However, given that same cafe is incredibly unsuccessful she might indeed be lacking in taste.
She seems to have history with Max Brass, apparently knowing him on a personal level, although she now holds a grudge against him and seeks revenge for "things he said" to her. Dr. Coyle later overpowered Max Brass in the Grand Prix so that she could take on the challenger instead. Dr. Coyle is credited as being the creator (or at least being the head scientist as well as one of the creators) of Helix, Springtron and Hedlok (which she referred to as her "masterpiece"), as well as seemingly being responsible for Master Mummy's reanimation.
Uniquely, Dr. Coyle does not have a jump. Instead, she levitates at all times and is able to increase her height with the jump button. This permits her to dash and guard at any height. She will be registered as being on the "ground" at any altitude; because of this, some ARMS such as the Scorpio or Funchuk will always move out in the mode/form they are in when launched on the ground. In addition, she can briefly activate an additional ARM by charging for a long period of time. The ARM appears on a random shoulder of Dr. Coyle and matches the ARM immediately below it. Furthermore, she can temporarily disappear while moving freely, an ability activated by holding guard or getting up after being knocked down.
Dr. Coyle is however much more vulnerable to debilitating effects such as Electric and Ice as she will always react to them as if she were grounded.
Her ability to fly and shield at anytime, as well as having invisibility and reduced vulnerability when getting up, make Dr. Coyle difficult to pin down. Her extra arm also gives her powerful poking and rush-building capabilities.
Dr. Coyle's playstyle centers around using her third arm to harass at range until she gains an advantage. She can then use her inherent height advantage and smooth movement to smother opponents with pressure, while avoiding being cornered herself.
Reliable ARMS that create strong pressure without sacrificing Dr. Coyle's mobility work well with her. They complement her two biggest strengths, which are her flight and her third ARM. Some examples are:
In Competitive Play
Since her release in December 2017, Dr. Coyle has been universally considered to be the best character in the game. This is been backed up by the results of players of AstroNinja0 and Shateau.
- AstroNinja0 - The best player in North America and the best Dr. Coyle player in the world. 1st place at 2GG: SwitchFest 2019, ARMS North American Online Open (April 2020), Polaris Punchout and many more events.
- Shateau - One of the best players in Japan and the best Dr. Coyle player in Japan. 1st place at ARMS Japan Grand Prix 2018 Finals, KVOxTSB 2019 and Smash'N'Splash 5.
- Dastardly - One of the best players in North America and the second-best Dr. Coyle player in North America. 3rd place at Smash Out 2018 and Bamboo Battles: Hibernation Arc, 9th at ARMS North American Online Open (April 2020).
- Alistair - The best active Dr. Coyle main in Europe. 3rd place at Casual Clash 24 and EU ARMS Challenge #51.
- Grimwood - One of the best players in Europe, has a solid Dr. Coyle secondary. 1st place at EU ARMS Challenge #52 with mostly Dr. Coyle.
- HedgieMcHogerson - One of the best Dr. Coyle players in North America. 3rd place at ARMS Comeback Series.
In Grand Prix
- Main article: Badge Stash
|You've fought 50 rounds as
Dr. Coyle. Impressive research!
|60||Play as Dr. Coyle 50 times.|
|You've fought 500 rounds as
Dr. Coyle. ARMS Labs should hire YOU!
|200||Play as Dr. Coyle 500 times.|
|Dr. Coyle lost 100 rounds to you!
Is that scientifically possible?
|100||Defeat Dr. Coyle 100 times.|
|You beat Dr. Coyle 250 times!
All her life's work must
have been for nothing.
|200||Defeat Dr. Coyle 250 times.|
|You reached Level 5
in the 7th Party Crash! Choosing
Dr. Coyle really paid off.
|30||Choose Dr. Coyle in the seventh Party Crash event and reach level 5 (no longer obtainable), or get it randomly from the random badges (levels 15-30) obtainable in future Party Crashes.|
|You made it to Level 10
in the 7th Party Crash?
Dr. Coyle would be so proud.
|30||Choose Dr. Coyle in the seventh Party Crash event and reach level 10 (no longer obtainable), or get it randomly from the random badges (levels 15-30) obtainable in future Party Crashes.|
|You reached level
5 in the 15th Party Crash!
Nice work, Dr. Coyle!
|30||Choose Dr. Coyle in the fifteenth Party Crash event and reach level 5 (no longer obtainable), or get it randomly from the random badges (levels 15-30) obtainable in future Party Crashes.|
|You reached level
10 in the 15th Party Crash!
Way to be, Dr. Coyle!
|30||Choose Dr. Coyle in the fifteenth Party Crash event and reach level 10 (no longer obtainable), or get it randomly from the random badges (levels 15-30) obtainable in future Party Crashes.|
|You've fought in 10 rounds of
Helix vs. Dr. Coyle!
|60||Participate in 1-on-1 matches between Helix and Dr. Coyle adding up to a total of ten or more rounds.|
|You've fought in 10 rounds of
Dr. Coyle vs. Max Brass!
|60||Participate in 1-on-1 matches between Dr. Coyle and Max Brass adding up to a total of ten or more rounds.|
|You won a battle as Dr. Coyle
using a Revolver! What a rush of
|30||Defeat an opponent using Dr. Coyle equipped with the Revolver on at least one ARM.|
|You defeated Dr. Coyle in the
ARMS Grand Prix! Stay in shape,
cause she's gonna want a rematch.
|100||Defeat Dr. Coyle in Grand Prix.|
|You defeated Dr. Coyle...and defeated
AS Dr. Coyle. It's like you've got the
Grand Prix down to a science!
|200||Defeat Dr. Coyle in Grand Prix mode and beat Round 10 of Grand Prix with Dr. Coyle.|
|You've fought 10 matches using each Dr. Coyle color!||60||Play 10 matches for each Dr. Coyle's 4 color palettes.|
|You reenacted the Ver. 5 title screen illustration. Dark vs. light!||30||Participate in a fight between Max Brass wielding|
double Roasters and Dr. Coyle wielding double
Appearances in other media
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Dr. Coyle cameos on an electronic billboard in the background of Spring Stadium.
|5.0.0||Added to the game.|
|5.2.0||Fixed an issue where, under certain conditions, extra ARMS would appear while firing ARMS.|
To select a costume, click and hold , then hold in the direction of the desired costume while confirming with . Simply choosing a character without tilting the stick will select the first costume not taken (in the order of up-right-down-left) and if multiple players tilt the stick in the same direction while selecting the same character, they will be the same costume.
Grand Prix Ending
- She is the oldest known female fighter, at 48 years old. The second oldest is Twintelle at 26.
- Her name is a play on "coil," which her ARMS are made of.
- She didn't gain her ARMS naturally, but instead experimented on herself to gain the ARMS ability and succeeded. Interestingly, Dr. Coyle's irises are spiraled like those who naturally obtained them, implying that she gained the true ARMS ability through this method.
- She's the only ARMS fighter to have unique dialogue when fighting other ARMS characters.
- Her victory quote after defeating Kid Cobra implies she has a dislike or fear of snakes.
- Dr. Coyle's information on her official profile is encoded, likely to tie into her theme as a mysterious, suspicious scientist.
- She is the only fighter who does not have a full body character render. Hers only goes down to her chest.
- Unlike Max Brass who does fight himself at the end of Grand Prix, Dr. Coyle is incapable of fighting herself in Grand Prix Level 6 or 7, instead the final opponent will remain Max Brass.
- She is likely the one holding the photo of Springtron in his Grand Prix ending photo as her nails have the same pattern as her grab attack.
- She can, in many respects, be seen as the opposite to Mechanica.
- Both are technically minded women who engineer themselves the ability to use ARMS.
- Mechanica is the youngest female fighter as well as the youngest human fighter, utilizing a fighter suit made of scrapyard technology. Dr. Coyle is the oldest female fighter, using advanced technology to grant herself the ARMS ability.
- They are both admirers of ARMS, although Dr. Coyle's investment borders on obsession.
- Mechanica is a fan of Ribbon Girl. Conversely, Dr. Coyle has a low opinion of Ribbon Girl, as she believes her pop singer occupation is a waste of time that would be better spent honing her ARMS talents.
- She is most likely the one who reportedly stole blueprints from Mechanica to create Springtron.
Names in other languages
The Rad Scientist